The first ever LOAF Cooking Challenge has begun!
The mission: use up an entire tub of tapioca maltodextrin, a magical starch that transforms fats into powders. (More on the chemistry another time.)
To celebrate the tub’s arrival, I turned creamy peanut butter into soft, flour-like powder. When the powder hits your tongue, it turns back into creamy peanut butter like magic. You gotta taste it to believe it.
For dessert, I sprinkled some onto vanilla Cashewtopia with a little sea salt on top. Unreal.
More powdered experiments to come.
I’m taking suggestions for my first ever cooking challenge on LOAF! Scallion ice cream? $7 dinner for two? West African PB&J? Tuna fish cocktail?? I need your suggestions! Mostly because mine suck.
Ways to submit:
- As a Facebook comment, if you’re reading this there
- If you’re reading on Tumblr, use the “ask" feature
It’s Passover, yo! Why is my charoset different from all others? Here’s what I put in it:
- pecans and almonds
- Manischewitz grape wine, aka Jew Juice
- coconut white vinegar, dried coconut flakes
- dried turkish figs, dried blueberries, golden raisins
- chopped mint
- cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg
- splash of orange juice
- lemon juice and zest
- sea salt
Not pictured: the remaining 9 pounds